Thursday, August 13, 2009

There is a reason.

I went to the Farmer's Market last Sunday and bought some heirloom tomatoes (the best! UGLY and I love them!) and 3 perfect roses. I smiled at the vendor and said "how beautiful!" He slipped a fourth rose into my bunch. I will definitely buy flowers from him again. The roses were just wee buds when I bought them but then opened up so perfectly, gave me so much pleasure, I am still delighting in them. (No, I don't have a bud vase here. I used the travel coffee cup. What? Hey, It works!)

You must know by now, my dear reader, I endeavor to find peace each day. Peace peppered with just a bit of adventure. I went to the cactus garden. (I know, "oh, so exciting!" Yeah, well... my world is small.) I took many more pictures, but these two will suffice.

Cacti are weird, but very entertaining. Oddly, right next door to the cactus garden is the rose garden. Again, I took a lot of pictures, but I think everyone has seen a rose garden. You kinda have to be there to really appreciate it. So, one picture will do, for now.
The colors just don't translate. For some reason these flowers did not have a smell. I think it must have been bred out of them. Maybe for those of us who would otherwise sneeze!

I wandered over to the rehearsal studios. I wanted to greet two of my old friends in the cast of "Sammy!" It is a new musical the Old Globe is producing about Sammy Davis Jr. I hadn't seen either friend in years and years. Oh, we had a great reunion! Both were so surprised and pleased. They will be here for a while, longer than I will be, so we will have ample time to catch up. This gives me joy!

Outside the rehearsal studios I recognized poppies. All I could think of was "The Wizard of Oz."
"Poppies, poppies..." Then, "You're out of the woods, you're out of the dark, you're out of the night. Step into the sun, step into the light..."

See. Adventure around every corner.

Why, you may ask, do I seek out beauty and harmony? I will answer. The tragedies and injustices I know about, and spend time trying to ease are sometimes too horrific to communicate on a public blog, or even to dwell on very long. If I am not immediately involved, trying to cradle and take care, I will not sit home and brood. These are personal private tragedies, and injustices, not necessarily my own. I am there for my friends and colleagues when they need me. I am no good to them if I let myself become bogged down in a miasma of tears for them. To be strong for others, I have to take control of my own adventure. I am then a better shoulder, and a clearer head for those who need it.

I had some disturbing news today. I arranged to help, then took a walk. Maybe dear reader, you understand me a little bit better, now.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope the disturbing news and injustices are not striking someone within the company. I don't want them striking anybody at all, of course. If there is anything I should know, you know how to reach me.

    Taking a walk always helps clear the head.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete