Saturday, August 1, 2009

"That was really good!"

Another day gone, another set of problems to solve. My mentor and good good friend used to say, "This too shall pass." Words of wisdom, and I remember them often.

"This too shall pass." There is no judgement in the comment. It is only a statement of fact. Good, bad or indifferent, "this too shall pass." When I enjoy the experience, it is a reminder to appreciate and treasure the moment. When I'd rather be doing something, anything else, it keeps me focused, knowing time takes care of all. I like it. I like a statement that is true all the time. It gives me comfort.

I am eating wasabi almonds and drinking a little vodka. I don't have a show tomorrow. Weird for a Saturday. It is a scheduled day off, nothing has gone wrong. But, I find that changes to my routine upset my rhythm a bit. I am so used to working, time off is anathema. So, I am a little off-kilter. The problems will have to wait yet another day. It's okay, I adapt, it is just weird.

I overheard a husband say to his wife tonight, "Well, honey, that was really good!" He was surprised. I was pleased. The show was/is "really good." I'm glad you came and had a nice time. Come again. We have two other shows that are "really good." Bring your friends!


I don't know why people have to be convinced to come to the theatre. I don't know why we've such a bad rep. "Too high-brow, too hard to understand, boring..." Theatre is such a wonderfully unique experience, I would think audiences would flock. We are a hard sell in hard times. We are a hard sell, when the internet demands everyone's attention and time and that is just too bad. The personal immediate relationship that forms between artist and audience is priceless and new every night. The theatrical experience is ancient and new. It is, perhaps, a better way for us all to connect than anything else out there, including facebook. Certainly better than television or youtube. Youtube is fun, don't get me wrong, I appreciate all our new technology, but technology is limited. Theatre is not. It just.. is not!

(We have a saying in this business. "We can do whatever you want. We can do it fast, cheap and good. Pick two.")

Go see a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment