Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Subjective Time

Here I am.  I was wondering.  

Long frigging day.  The days are getting longer now.  It is a problem for outdoor lighting designers.  They need our compassion.

I look back at all the work I've done and I look ahead to all the work I've yet to do, and realize, there is nothing for it but to live in the moment.  I don't mean that I ignore the past.  I look back and remember what I've learned and apply it to the here and now. Obversely, I don't mean that I don't anticipate the problems of tomorrow, I do.  I simply deal with the moment at hand. It needs my attention right now.  Funny that.

I've been thinking about the friends I've misplaced, or who have misplaced me.  I wonder about them.  Are they okay?  What is going on in their lives?  Have they found a way to reach their dreams?  I got a quick note from one of them on facebook.  It was so nice to hear a kind word, and so lovely to know he'd been thinking of me.  We can get lost, if we really want to.  Even in this very "connected" world.  We can resign our facebook, myspace accounts.  We can close down our blogs.  We can stop carrying our phones with us every single place we go.  Some think that will enable us to be better connected.  More.. personalized.  I don't know about that.  I love the people who have found me on facebook.  Long lost loves.  Long lost friends. Our collective lives have become so busy, nature of the beast, I suppose, and these tools enable me to easily contact the someone who randomly appeared in a dream last night.  I think... no, I believe it is good.  Time will tell us all.

Wednesday.  Wow.  Time is speeding up.  I have often thought that we should have clocks that tell subjective time.  You remember how long those final 5 minutes of school lasted.. an eternity.  Some days each minute feels like an hour. There are those days when one looks at one's watch every minute.  And yet, some days fly.  Subjective time.  (I've discovered that sometimes it is just because my watch has stopped.)

And yet...  


1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the subjectivity of time. Twenty years can pass by in the blink of an eye but just one day on a diet can seem like an eternity.

    ReplyDelete