Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I've Never Been to Kentucky

It is late and I should go to bed, but something compels me to sit up, contemplating the day I suppose.  My neighbor is playing music loud enough for me to hear through the walls.  I would complain, but I like him and he is an actor.  (Not my actor, but still.)  I don't think I can hear it in my "bedroom"  so it is really okay.  Can't imagine living in NYC again.  All that noise!  

I love the state of California.  It is mostly quiet, but can be bustling.  California is a state of being, of living and experimenting, of art and science, of conservatives and extraordinarily bright liberals.  I love the conversation, and even the disagreement.  The dialogue is important, or seems so.  I love feeling free to engage, or not.  To finally sit back and just listen sometimes. To reflect and to "be" quiet.  It is soul-settling.  I'd like to go back to Yosemite, in early winter, before the crowds come to ski.  Yosemite is heartbreakingly beautiful that time of year, and oh... so quiet and empty.  My husband and I alone sharing the space with the wild redwood forests.  There is no better place on this planet.  It is humbling.

On the other hand, if you've never been to the Grand Canyon, you MUST go!  The Grand Canyon will literally take your breath away.  I don't use this word often because it is so over-used, but the Grand Canyon is awesome.  Truly.  Best advice I can give:  See it for yourself.  I just didn't care I was sharing it with crowds of people.  Each one of those people was having the same reaction to the place that I did.  Imagine you were one of the first people to set eyes on it.  My gosh.  Stunning.

Two very different kinds of places, but both of nature and of our world.  We do have other diversions.  We have those that we create for ourselves, our cities, our architecture, our museums, our theatre, our restaurants, our amusement parks.  (What a peculiar penchant we have for Disneyland-ish places.)  Generally, I prefer the forest, or the beach.  The mountains and the sea.  California is the place for me.  LOL.

An Old Poem (I wrote in high school):

I'm going to paint the grass blue.
Because I want to.
I can't think of a better reason, can you?
You know, I'm not very lucky.
I've never been to Kentucky.
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm driving back - and one of my stops is going to be the Grand Canyon. When we moved 8 years ago, with a truck, a car, and 2 dogs, we couldn't stop. But this time, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Kentucky where they make KY jelly?

    ReplyDelete