Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Look What The Demon Brought

Climate Change. Whoa. Maybe the planet has simply been doing what George Carlin said she's been doing all along. The Earth just wanted some plastic. So, she let us evolve and we made plastic. She is now The Earth plus Plastic. She doesn't need us anymore.
There is a part of me that really likes this reasoning. It is, in a way comforting. "No doubt, the universe is unfolding as it should..." It just may not be unfolding to your liking. Yes, Virginia, life is not fair.

We were trying to remember the seven deadly sins the other day. We finally gave up and looked it up on Google. Everyone of us in this coffee klatch missed "lust." What does that say about us?

Surprisingly, the virtues came a little easier. Women's names: Faith, Hope, Charity, Chastity and Prudence. I think those are the names of the witches on Charmed. (Yes, I like a little trashy television more often than I like to admit. It is so mindless and therefore restful. Cash Cab is good too.)

I wanted to talk about Iran. This revolution/uprising is very interesting, scary and may ultimately change the playing field out there in the wide world. The United States has never understood the Arab world, and needs to make an effort. These are not uneducated primitive people. They are of "The Cradle of Civilization." They live in the modern world. This country seems to think Arabs all live in tents in some peripatetic life... nomads, riding camels. Well, that is just plain prejudice. It is clear to me that the education in Iran has been phenomenal. TWO of my doctors went to Tehran University for their MD. One of them is chief of staff at a major hospital in The Valley. These are people much like us, just oppressed like many of us have felt, either historically or personally. Every Iranian I've met in the U.S. has said to me, "freedom of speech... it is everything." Well, the oppressed populace of Iran seems to be demanding that right, right now. It is a glorious and frightening thing to witness. I wish them luck and determination and fortitude facing the days to come. These "crowds" are collectively risking their own lives to make their world a better place. Such courage. Whatever the outcome, this display of anger and action is just oh, so good. (I fear for them, each and every one. I remember Tiananmen Square. I shudder.)
World events can be inspiring. The news may not be good, but it can allow us to take a new look at what we are doing and how we are living, and maybe, let us appreciate our isolated world a little bit better.
I had a very successful day today in Illiria. I will go to bed worried about my planet, and my species, but happy with our momentary accomplishments.
It is all I can do tonight. We'll see about maƱana.


No comments:

Post a Comment