Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Making It Look Easy, (and a non sequitur)


I shared a picture featuring one of my directors in the audience while I sat behind him at my tech table. I described the picture thus: "There I am, in the background, facilitating the process." This is a true statement and may be the best way I can describe stage managing. My job is to make everyone else's job easier and to create an environment where others can do the work.

Oddly, the process of facilitating is anything but easy. It is as much about charm as it is about organization. It is about adapting and changing. It is about problem-solving and quick thinking. It is about listening, really listening to one's company members, and responding. One has to find joy in it all, or the job is impossible to do. No... I should say... impossible to do well. Or, perhaps more personally, without joy I find the work tedious and impossible.

Most of the time, I wake up excited for the day ahead. Sometimes, I can't wait and go in early just to chat with my fellows or to just sit in the empty theatre. Sometimes, I'd rather be sleeping. This time, I wake up early and walk to work. It gives me the time to reflect and get ready for the day. This job is, in many ways, a "head" thing. Many days I beat everyone else to work. (Annoys my assistants, who are coming at their call-times and earlier. "Oh, you are already here!?" This cracks me up.) Other days, I stroll in a little late, confident my assistants are there, covering and problem-solving. I love being a bit mercurial. Keeps my people on their toes! And all of this works. It works.

My opinion. My experience. (Yours may vary.)

Not sure I like twitter. Not sure I need it. Appreciate its applications. But.. Time, as it does, will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment