Monday, June 22, 2009

Rest is Good

I know why I watch so much mindless television. I don't have to think or engage. If someone calls I can turn the tv off and not feel imposed upon. It passes the time. It allows my brain to sleep. (God knows my brain is active most of the night. My dreams. Another blog.) Sometimes I say it is because it helps me in my business. That one is a bit of prevarication. (Though, I do take the time to watch and appreciate my colleagues.) In the end, it is all these things, but, I think the ultimate reason may be that it is too hard to read anymore. I say this as someone who used to read 3 books a week, working or not. I'd stay up all night finishing a novel. My free time was spent at the bookstore. But with allergies (drippy eyes) and age, trifocals in my glasses, it is difficult to relax with a book. Relaxing is not about "difficult", after all. So, I watch too much mindlessness. I may or may not learn something. It is certainly not something I'm proud of. But, I am not sure I care. The endless thinking ceases for a time, and my brain gets a little rest. Rest is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment