Thursday, July 9, 2009

Two Pigs

At a construction site recently, after a disagreement about who could use the giant earth-mover tractor thing, I overheard the following comment from the worker who gave up the giant piece of equipment:

"How do you make two pigs? (Referring to the guy who took the piece of equipment) With that asshole!"

Colorful, yet I don't understand. The worker he spoke to completely got it. I have been thinking about this for days. It is kinda funny, but I don't know why... What did he mean?

I am all about precision. Precision in language, precision in work execution, precision in paper-work, precision in performance. I believe we want to communicate as clearly as possible. The one thing I may hate above all else is being misunderstood. (Okay... I hate poverty, war, disease, sloth, lazy coworkers, environmental disasters, yeah. But, this is more personal.) Hmm, and yet, I find myself thinking that perhaps a certain amount of poverty, crime, disease, laziness and war can be prevented with better communication. Environmental disasters stand on their own. It is only our response we can control. And yet, again, isn't that about communication? Think about it.

We had a wild and wicked show this evening. Twelfth Night. Loved calling it, loved watching it, loved the strange and new things that occurred this evening. Kept us on our toes, and keeps the performance exciting.

Yes, I can be cryptic. A poetic choice in communication. Those who know, know. Maybe that is the lesson from the construction worker. He was speaking to his colleague and the communication was perfect. A language I don't know and am not meant to understand. I am the outsider. Every occupation has its own language. What would that construction worker make of "Dry Tech" or "Vom" or "Break a Leg!" or "I can't, I'm in rehearsal." ("I'm understudying tomorrow, I have a fight call, I missed my cue, I got sliced by the sword last night, no, the fight was just right!, the audience was smart, the audience was weird, where did my timing go? What show is this? Can I have a cue light there? I need more glo-tape. My quick-change went well tonight. My dresser was late. I spaced. I was in the green room. I waited for you at the stage door. They are trying to make their nut.")

K. Our language is incomprehensible too. But two pigs?


Yet. I will tell you. All the construction workers to whom I've spoken get: "I'm a member of Actor's Equity. A professional union for Actors." Cool.

See if you remember this song: "Oh, you can't scare me, I'm sticking to the union..I'm sticking to the union..." (Hint: Woody Guthrie) From my wee standpoint, it unites me with the construction worker. I am extremely grateful. Wonder if he knows the song?

I may never know. It is okay. It is okay I don't get his reference. Each discipline, each environment calls for its own sort of communication. As long as those that need the info get it.

I may be too prickly on this point, but I do in fact, think everything comes down to communication. Let's talk.



No comments:

Post a Comment