Monday, July 13, 2009

Random Thoughts

I had a thought. They also serve who only stand and wait. It is such an original idea that John Milton wrote it in the 17th century. But, it works for me. I tell it to my interns AND to my assistants. The interns become confused. I see the look on their oh, so young faces. So, I explain. "I need you here doing nothing because when I need you to do something, I really need you. Especially during tech and previews". However, I don't need them when I am calling a show, I am too busy. Go away. (This must be very confusing for them.. Hadn't thought about that. hmm.)

I continue to my assistants.. "I know that backstage is either hectic or not. But, some shows have a lot of down time for the deck stage manager. You also serve... standing around and waiting. Live theatre. Things go wrong. You are the answer. You are the solution. It is your job to be available to handle those crises. You are the only one free to find a solution. That means, standing around, waiting, you also have to pay attention." So.. in a way, standing and waiting is doing something.

Sometimes we stand and wait for life to happen. Maybe not such a good thing. Sometimes we have to "take the bull by the horns." Sometimes, we just have to get out of bed and do something. Take a shower. Read the paper. Make coffee. Open the front door.

J. R. R. Tolkien wrote:

"The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began,
And I must follow if I can
pursuing it with eager feet.
And whither then?
I cannot say."

He also said something along the lines of "you open your front door and you never know where the path will lead." This is a total paraphrase. I am sure he was more elegant than that. But the point is clear.

Okay..indulge me. He wrote this too. I love this poem. Without looking it up, this is what I remember.

"There was a merry passenger,
A messenger, a Mariner,
He built a gilded gondola
To wander in, and had in her
A load of yellow oranges
And porridge for his provender."

My poet grandmother (as we called her) liked Tolkien, mostly because I liked him. I liked the way he used rhymes. Grandmother (Never Grandma!) critiqued my poetry heartlessly. She critiqued Tolkien's! I still have her notes. I was hurt at the time, but she was teaching. And now those notes are very dear to me.

(Eddy are you okay? Are you okay, Eddy?)

No comments:

Post a Comment