Monday, July 13, 2009

A Good Day.

Today was a very productive day. Today we moved five steps forward. Today we cheered. Today we cheered-up some people. Today we encouraged and complimented. Today we watched in admiration. Today we worked hard. Today we earned our day off tomorrow. Today we were proud. Today was a good day.

I love the summer. I appreciate the heat, because it is part of the cycle. I need to rethink walking when it is this hot. My gosh, the heat makes me tired. But the work is so engaging that I forget I am sitting in the sun. Yes, sun block. Don't leave home without it! I've lived in Southern California so long... I never leave the house without sun block, or the hat I never wear. (I hate hat hair, on myself. On others I think it is funny.)

I've come to realize that the people who know and love me see me with rose colored glasses. They don't see or think about the pimples that have inexplicably grown on my face. They don't see my hair is flattened (okay, from the hat). They don't see that I am wearing the same clothes I had on yesterday! (Hey... It is the coolest outfit I have. And I mean... it is hot, these clothes are more comfortable.) They only see what they need to see. I am there for them. Good news! What is important to me is important to the very people I supervise. We are all in this together, dedicated and striving. How can my job get any better?

I miss my home, and my beautiful husband. A perfect day... and yet. That reminds me of a parable. I will try to recount it. Hmm. There was a woman, so beautiful, perfect in every way. Except for this one tiny birthmark on her face. Her husband loved her beyond all measure, and told her constantly how beautiful she was. She looked in the mirror each night and thought, " I need to be the perfect person my husband thinks I am. I need to get rid of this flaw." So, she saw an alchemist, or a sorcerer or who knows..a podiatrist. Whoever it was, he made the flaw fade. As her flaw faded, she became sicker and sicker. At the moment of perfection, she died. She deprived herself and her husband of her infinite being. I think it is right and good to strive for perfection.. .but, maybe the point of this story is to know we don't need to be perfect to be perfect. Life is the journey, and maybe the point is perfection is unattainable or, attainable and then you die. I don't know. Wait, I just reread this and it is a stupid parable. Who taught me this? I can't find it online.

I think one should always seek perfection. But, perfection in work. Who really cares about beauty? Really. It is all so very subjective. And it is all so fleeting. That takes me to another thought. About youth and the loss of youth. To quote Shakespeare:
"Come and kiss me sweet and ... twenty. Youth's a stuff will not endure."



No comments:

Post a Comment