I've worked with a variety of recipes and have come up with this.. No mayo coleslaw.. It is SO GOOD!!
1. 1/2 head of Cabbage. If you need to learn how to cut cabbage check it out...:
2. 1/2 Yellow or Sweet Onion
3. 1-2 stalks of Celery
4. 2-3 stalks of scallions
5. 1/2 cup of White Wine Vinegar
6. 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil. (I use Canola.)
7. 1 1/2 Tablespoons of white sugar.
8. 2 Tsp of Celery Seed
9. 1 Tsp of Ground Pepper
10. 1/2 Tsp of Sea Salt
11. 1 Tsp of Powdered Mustard (You can skip this.. it is a weird ingredient.. I just really like it.)
That is the ingredient list!
This is what you want to do.. no really.
1. Cut up the Cabbage. (umm yum cabbage.)
2. Put it in a fairly large salad bowl.
3. Cut up about 1/3 of a large yellow onion.. Make slices out of the onion.. You can cut it up smaller if you prefer. Toss it on top of the cabbage
4. Get your left over and decaying celery out of the fridge. Use the last two decent stalks and clean them. Cut the stalks in half, length-wise. Chop the celery. Add to the bowl.
5. Clean and cut up two well-endowed scallions. Put both the white part and the green in the bowl.
6. Have a glass of wine or a shot. Really.. You've done a lot of chopping.. Time for a little break!!
Okay.. Better now...
7. In a measuring cup put 1/2 cup of white wine vinegar.
8. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. (I use Canola Oil.)
9. Add 1 1/5 tablespoons of white sugar.
10. Add 2 teaspoons of celery seeds.
11. Add 1/2 tsp of Sea Salt.
12. 1 Tsp of Ground Pepper
13. 1 Tsp of Powdered Mustard .. or not.
Using a small wisk.. wisk the vinegar, oil, sugar, celery seeds, salt, pepper, and powdered mustard. Wisk really well!!
Pour 1/2 of liquid over cabbage mixture.
STIR.. MIX IT UP!
Pour the other half over the cabbage mixture. MIX IT UP!
Put a cover over the bowl. Turn the bowl upside down and shake that dressing into the cabbage!
Put in the fridge for at least 2 hours and, even better, over night.
You now have Mary's Coleslaw!!