Monday, June 28, 2010

The Day Off.

It hurts my heart a little that Nick Drake is used so ubiquitously in commercials.  He died, quite a long time ago and his songs sing the reason why.  Now his music sells cars and coverage.  He was very important to me, very private.  The music is all.  The commercial use is obscene.  Even though, I have to say using Christo and Nick Drake in the same commercial is inspired.  It is still..a commercial.

Where does art live by itself?  Does it have to be adopted and used by the larger industries who spend so little money supporting that art?  I'm flummoxed. I want to say to advertising agencies..."Earn the right.  Know where the art began.  Understand the context."  I'm whistling in the dark, dear friends.

My day off.  Today.  I spent most of the morning sleeping, I'm happy to say!  I talked to my dear husband, then dealt with a couple of actor issues.  I am always available to talk to my actors and help them.  I took a couple of fabric grocery bags and headed off to a new (to me) grocery store.  I bought way too many bottles of liquid!  The climb back to the apartment was easily my workout for the day!
I dropped off my purchases, set off again and wound up at a used book-store.  Bought a book!  Went on and bought the soup I really like from Safeway and stopped in at the State Liquor Store to get a bottle of vodka. Got to be prepared for TECH WEEK! LOL. Ran into a couple of my company members... wandered on. Got my nails done.  (Are you surprised?)

Came home and baked some chicken for the week ahead.  I have to stop eating the greasy offerings around my apartment.

I took some pictures.  Oh, I know you are waiting on baited breath!

Yesterday was Pride Day in Seattle.  The festivities took place right outside our rehearsal room.

Man on Stilts:


Bare-breasted women celebrating:

More celebrating.

A man in a wedding gown...The space needle with a rainbow flag.  Too cool.


That was yesterday.

Today, I looked around, walked and finally took a picture of the wind chimes.  Seattle has set up a display with bells on many trees on the walkway between Seattle Rep and the Intiman.  The bells send up an amazing music, jingling in the wind.  Look closely, you can see the bells. 

Seconds from my apartment building are these wonderous flower beds.  So colorful and so full of life.
I call this the "magic fountain."  Truly, it draws people from everywhere.  Weird ethereal music plays...  People sit and listen, children jump in the water...it is all very satisfying.Weird and wonderful.  Children everywhere.

Seattle is like a dream town.  Never quite real.  Something else is ... over there.  (The Cascades!)

No comments:

Post a Comment