Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Chance Encounter.

Many years ago, (a long time ago and far far away) I was sitting at a table in the Conservatory at the Mayflower Hotel in New York City.  (It is gone now. Alas.)  I was with my colleagues and we were talking about the show we were about to rehearse.  (It might have been The Turtles, it might have been an industrial for Pontiac.  I don't remember anymore.)

There were only two parties in the restaurant at the time.  We numbered about 6 or so.  The only other table had three people.  2 men and a woman.

I looked over, as I arrived, and said to my colleagues, "Look, it is Julian Lennon and Axl Rose."  One of my coworkers  mentioned he'd really like an autograph from Julian for his daughter (yeah, right) but he didn't have the courage to ask for it.  I said I'd do it.  I went over to the table, introduced myself, pointed to my cowardly colleague and Julian graciously gave me an autograph for the daughter.  Axl asked me, "Don't you want my autograph?"  I smiled and said, "No, thank-you."

(In retrospect...)

Later, we noticed Axl get up and go to the piano and play a few chords with a bit of rhythm.  We didn't really think much about it.  We were involved in our own conversations.

The bar closed.

I was staying at the hotel.  Julian and his guest said good-bye to Axl and left the hotel.  I found myself walking with Axl to the elevator.  He put his arm around me and asked me what I'd thought of his musical attempt to impress Julian.  I hadn't really listened and his mini performance didn't impress me, so I said something innocuous and supportive.  He smiled an endearing smile.  We rode the elevator together and got off on the same floor.  We were living next door to each other!

He was lovely and gracious and walked me to my door.  I said goodnight and thought no more about it. The next night... he clearly had a party in his hotel room.  Very Loud.

He came to me the next day, apologized for the noise and promised it would never happen again.  It never did.

Nice.  Nice to meet him and talk to him.  He was such a gentle man.  I mean what I write.  He was a gentle man.  Nice to meet Julian too.  He was a gentleman.  So good to see.

I've felt very protective of the two of them and engaged with them ever since. (Though I've never seen either one again.)  It was the moment. The chance encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment