Saturday, June 19, 2010

Some Kind Of Wonderful.

As I arrived at work today, one of my wonderful crew came up to me with an armload of towels.  ??? (my face.)  "It's pouring today.  These are in case your actors get wet."  So sweet!  I looked at the skies.  Had I missed something on my way to work?  I wore a hat because it was drizzling.  By the time I got to work it was sprinkling with some actual rain, but "pouring?"  Made me think of the song, "It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya, it pours, man it pours."  Okay.  "Pouring" to me, is a torrential downpour; my husband standing in two feet of water in the backyard.  The streets un-drivable. The pelting rain so thick you can't  really drive on the freeways.  Doesn't happen very often, but this is my definition of "pouring."


I was at Trader Joe's the other day.  (Up an incredibly steep hill... another story.)  It was cloudy.  The sun would peek out occasionally, but to me, it looked like rain.  The checker clearly said to the person in front of me, "Enjoy the sun!"  The sun?  What sun?  I hadn't seen the sun all day.  It was not what I would call a sunny day.  Heck, I hadn't seen the sun all week!  As I walked back down the incredibly steep hill, passers-by remarked, "Isn't it beautiful today?"  I didn't want to seem unfriendly in this very friendly town, so I smiled and said, "Why, yes!"  (I was cold. There was an icy breeze. But, then, I'm from LA, if it gets below 70 degrees I'm cold.)

Some days start out beautifully sunny.  By my first break most days the clouds have wandered in.  By the time I walk home, I need a heavier jacket!  Different kind of weather here!  Today it drizzled all day, okay, occasionally it actually rained.  It never "poured."  (But thanks for the towels anyway!)

Our perceptions change so much depending on our environment.  It is quaint in a way.  Quaint of me, and quaint of Seattle-ites.  We judge everything by our experiences.

I am loving this town and I am loving my show.  My actors are a terrific group of people, some new, some old.  We have a long journey ahead of us, and I can only look forward.  I get up each day happy and excited to go to work.  My director and I have truly clicked and love working with each other.  I feel I am doing important work and I am so satisfied.  I am a week from tech and already my assistant and I are getting ready.  We can't wait.

I've some pictures, but I think I'll save them for next time.  Next time I want to talk about the beauty of this strange new place... Seattle.  I think it is some kind of wonderful.

  It says   Next at
Intiman Theatre
  Ruined

No comments:

Post a Comment