Saturday, July 3, 2010

Keys And Pockets.

I have been given three keys.  One is the size of a house key.  One is much larger.  Number 3 key is HUGE.

One lets me into my apartment.  The ginormous one lets me into my apartment building and the simply large one is a Master Key to the Intiman Theatre.  (I once had an "all access" pass to the Tony's. Having a Master Key is kind of like that.)

Keys can be a burden. One has to keep track of them. I place mine in a little blue bowl in the kitchen when "home."  They live in my pocket the rest of the time. My pockets are assigned. Front left holds my lighter and chapstick. Front right carries cash and keys. Back left is for my cigarette case.  Back right holds my debit card, a credit card, my driver's license and my grocery card. The side pocket, a kind of double pocket has my cell phone and 2 pencils, a sharpe, and a pen. Assuming I have a hairbrush in the car, I'm pretty much done and don't need a purse. I love the freedom, and I have everything I need throughout the day, but I do have to unload and take those pants off the minute I am home. The keys are first. They poke me.

I tell my students, carpenter pants work very well for stage managers!

We had our first preview of RUINED tonight at the Intiman Theatre in Seattle. It is a great, great play and a timely and important work. First Preview and a Standing Ovation! I cried when I saw the audience leap to their feet the moment the curtain call began. So moving. I felt proud and humbled to be part of this project. This is what theatre is about. Reaching out. Communicating. Telling a good story really well. It is exciting, mind-blowing and sometimes life-changing. I love it.

Tomorrow, more work, more fine-tuning. This piece deserves the best work of our lives. We will endeavor, reach out, and endure, together.

My keys open doors and give me access.  My keys open the theatre.  My keys tell me I'm welcome, here.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your successful preview! I love your description of your pants full of keys, cards, lighter, etc. Since I know you and have worked with you, I had an instant picture of you in my head! Travelling tomorrow - hopefully we can catch up next week.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete