Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Worst Thing.

Facebook is so silly. Really. Some great information gets out and I appreciate the contact with long lost (and sometimes forgotten) friends. We've become rampant in our "causes." I don't object, I just think we are taking an easier way out than we used to. (Yes, okay, use my name... okay I'll join your new group to make a point... ooh, Otter Pops! Okay. I get caught up too, but what is the point, really?) I could be wrong. Facebook could end up having more power than I could possibly imagine.

We used to take it to the streets! We used to pour out and protest. Why are all the liberal protests done on line? The maniacal minority has learned from us (back in our hay-day) that protests in person make the news. And we sit and type at our computers.! We my friends, if you can stand it, are now the silent majority.

Did you write to your congressman about health care reform? I did. Just last Saturday. I wrote to one of my senators a year ago about health care. WE have to communicate our issues or the duly elected can't do the job they were elected to do.

"The worst thing you can do is be silent.
Cover your face and look the other way and stay quiet.
You can do that in love, no kisses no hugs and no kindness.
You do it alright, keep your heart and your mind out of crisis.
But there's no magic, no curses or spells,
Can't leave the dirty work to someone else."

I'm sure I'm paraphrasing my dear husband's lyrics, but the point is... The worst thing you can do is be silent!

Those of us who really think and understand the nature of our current crises need to address them and speak out. We cannot afford to sit on our collective ass (large as that is) and expect lesser minds to solve our problems.

To my friends, I often reference a short story: "The Marching Morons", by Cyril M. Kornbluth (July 23, 1923 – March 21, 1958). It is the story of our civilization in the future controlled by the... shall we say, less learn-ed... and the intelligent are now the slaves of the vast majority of stupid people. I reference this story because it seems to be coming true. Read it.

Don't be intimidated! Work for change. Work for equality. Work to set the world right.

Get up. Get out. Talk. Question. Your future is at stake. (My future is here and now.)
xo.

1 comment:

  1. Close enough, love. Flattered you remember lyrics written twenty-eight years ago.

    The worst thing you could do
    Is be silent
    Cover your face
    And look the other way
    And stay quiet
    Now would you do that in love
    No kisses no hugs
    And no kindness
    But you do it alright
    Curb your tongue keep your life
    Out of crises
    But there's no magic
    No curses or spells
    Can't leave the dirty work for someone else

    ReplyDelete