Friday, March 19, 2010

Where Have You Been?

Sometimes days go by and the only person I've talked to, in person (aside from the checker at Von's or Trader Joe's) is my husband. It's okay. I said to him, just tonight, the time alone is kind of a gift, demonstrating how much we prefer each other, and we are enough.

All well and good, but come on! Sunland is not a lonely island cut off from the rest of the planet. (Oh, maybe it is. I have to drive to La Crescenta to find a Trader Joe's.) Facebook friends are all well and good too, but the conversations are fairly stilted and usually die out after an exchange or two. I don't like twitter. If you follow me on twitter you will notice I never post. I rarely sign on. I don't care about twitter. I get texting, only because it seems to be my nieces' and nephews' favorite form of communication. Email is okay, except for the tasteless jokes my father insists on sending me, endlessly. I do find people aren't sending emails much anymore. The social networks have taken over. "I'll talk to you on facebook. Follow me on twitter. Read my blog." Not much personal communication left.

Too bad. C'est dommage. C'est tres difficile pour moi, maintenant. Pour vous aussi. Non. Je pense que oui. We aren't communicating. Not really.

Okay...I know more French than I remember. I was taught by an Irish nun who learned French in Canada. Works great in France.

What was I saying about communication?

Touch, and face-to-face contact. What happened to that? In person visiting, or at least, phone calls? We communicate so much better adding body language to the mix, meaning in person. We communicate fairly well on the telephone when we can hear tones of voice and expression. We are built that way. We do well with the written word when we are writing poetry... But this abbreviated communication technology has delivered to us stunts our ability to really say what we mean. As I write this blog, I realize I'm reduced to using italics to emphasize words I would automatically emphasize in person, or, barring that, on the phone. I miss the facial expressions though. Harder to lie.

Anyway. Just some lonely thoughts, late at night, missing seeing, touching, reading and kissing your beautiful face.
xo

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes. Talking in person is always, always better. I don't twitter - and I won't. Who cares about the endless minutia of my life?

    We also go through days where the only person we speak to is each other. We like being together so that isn't a problem. But we need the stimulation of other kinds of conversations - with old friends.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete