Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Taxes and Managing Money.

I finished the taxes today and mailed them off. What a relief. Done. I never appreciate how much the taxes weigh on my mind until I carefully, obsessively-compulsively drive the envelopes to the post-office and slide them in the slot myself. I have to do it. Only then can I let that anxiety go. Letting it go.

I do our taxes. I won't hire someone. I figure I'm as smart as any CPA and I trust myself far more than some stranger. On average and with the help of my husband, it takes me about 5 1/2 hours. I honestly think if I hired someone, it would take me 8 hours to put together my receipts and logs so I could pay this someone else to insert the numbers. Thought I'd save the money and do it myself.

I've been audited twice. I won one completely and won half on the other. (I was a little confused on one point.) Pretty good record. My taxes are fairly complicated.

I find that it is best to be as honest as one can be, find all one's receipts, follow the instructions and not be afraid to take the deductions one is allowed.

My point may be: We should be able to do our own taxes. It shouldn't be so difficult or cause so much dismay. I don't have a problem paying my fair share of taxes. I know I am paying for police and streets and education and fire protection. We shouldn't be put in a position where we worry and retreat and postpone.

We pay our other bills on time. Well, this is just another bill for the protection, support and help that we receive every day. It is just another bill.

I'm satisfied my husband and I have paid our share to help fund our country. I just think our CFO (read "Congress") may need to do a better job managing that money.

Gosh, I've become more political in my blog than I ever wanted to be. Next week I'll talk about art and the nature of art and why we do things for free. (Or, maybe not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment