Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A very long day among many.

Today (tonight) was the first of many more to come, where the working hours are the only "awake" hours.  It is an odd thing called "Tech".  One tries to get some sleep the night before, and, before one realizes, it is time again to pull oneself up, into a shower, and off to work another near endless day.   
I work in such a bubble...Did something happen today with the California Supreme Court?  I am only peripherally aware.  I have this vague feeling that things are not going quite as right as they should be.  Worse.  Very off-track.  Very disappointing.  But, I have no first hand knowledge.
I could tell you about the very quick costume change we accomplished for Coriolanus... complete with blood.  I could tell you how well we moved through a very tough fight sequence and how pleased I am about the top of the show.  But, I don't know any details about what the Federal Government is doing.  Is it something about confirming a Supreme Court Justice?  It gets a little mixed up, what with California's Supreme Court acting like a bunch of idiots and all.  Is the Senate no better?  I can't comment.  I've read nothing.  Didn't realize until this moment that I had heard so much.  Haven't had time to process it yet.  
A bubble, as I've said.  Yet, satisfying, as so many introspective activities are.  The thing is... this is group introspection.  A real examining of our creative selves in order to share the result with anyone who cares to buy a ticket.  We hope we will share it with the public at large.  We hope we are building something everyone wants to, has to see.  We hope we will present a work of art that will provoke thought, conversation, education and change.  It is our business.  It is our life's work. 
So, we, collectively "introspect."  It is all to share and maybe, ultimately change the mindset of an entire population.
This is finally the point.  This is finally all about the art.  And the Art means nothing without an audience who is affected and changed.  Who witness and participates.  It is cultural.  It can be mind-blowing.  It is important.  It is food and drink.
So.  I am living in a bubble and can't see the outside world.  I will peek out from time to time, but my first and final responsibility is to a (several) show(s).  
It is the only way I know how to serve and to effect change.  It is joyful!  
Weird work, if you can get it.
xo  

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog through a series of clicks. You sure are vague, for being an old hippie. The person who recommended your blog said you were an old theater hand, who had 'seen it all.'

    Well, then give us some dish. The guy who recommended your blog said you had worked on a production a decade (?) or so with the famous actress Cherry Jones.

    So there's a start. Tell us something about Cherry Jones......or if you just won't 'go there'.....tell us about the show you were in, about the box office receipts, the other co-stars, etc.

    ReplyDelete