Saturday, May 30, 2009

I've been called out.

I have been called out by a comment listed on an earlier posting.  Hmmm.  I don't talk about the intimate details of theatre.  Stage Managers do not gossip.  If that is what you are looking for, you have hit the wrong blog.  I will talk about my own unique experiences, but this is not a gossip rag.
Stage Managers share information.  We Do Not Gossip.  If one were an actor, one would appreciate that.  
So, with that in mind... My day.
I spoke to my husband, by phone... we are gypsies and are rarely where life needs us to be.   I finished the morning breakfast and emails from work that had to be taken care of NOW.  I got dressed, went to work, found a lot of uncontrollable construction happening, tried to rain in the compressor that was set inside my theatre, tried to deal with costumes that weren't there.  Managed to get the rehearsal started, with a very frustrated director.  Later we did a fairly successful run-thru.  (Oh, costume problems, missed entrances, missed sound cues, the like.)
Yes.  I will always be "vague."  
There is an unwritten code in place here.  A private rehearsal is: a private rehearsal.  I will share what I think is appropriate.  I will share my experiences.  My company deserves that privacy.  My past companies deserve the same.  
It was a hard day, but after  (only) 12 hours of tech, we were able to run Coriolanus!  That is an achievement and speaks to the professionalism of my entire company.  We start 12th Night tomorrow.
peace.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Wakesuphappy Stage Manager, this commenter wasn't asking for any gossip (not that there is anything wrong with it), just maybe a charming anecdote about a production (according to your friend Mr Supak) that had occurred about a decade or so ago at the Mark Taper Forum, called "The Tongue of a Bird."

    Don't see anything harmful in that, but I am certainly not one to press for details that are indeed private. ("Privacy and dignity are one in the same" etc).

    I found your blog via Mr Supak because he had mentioned the name of the actress, Cherry Jones in his blog, and I have a Blog Alert set for her name. Curiously, my "Google Blog Alert" did not send me to his blog,( which in turn recommended your blog,) -- I had to do a separate blog search to find Mr Supak's blog, which mentioned the Tony Award winning Actress (and a star of the TV series '24'), Cherry Jones.

    He described you as 'an old hippie who had seen it all.'

    So now we know that you may have seen it all, but you are not willing to say squat about what it was you may have seen. What other things are you going to do with your blog?

    You mentioned that you are just starting a new production (started on May 27th)and that you have 40 days of hard work ahead before you get a break (not even weekends?) You mentioned you are working on multiple projects, so we know you are very busy and will have virtually no free time for 40 days (and 40 Nights?)

    In another post, you mentioned 'Kushner' (the guy who wrote "Angels in America," right? So -- is there anything that you might want to share about that production, assuming that you probably worked in it. (Remember, discussing Box Office Receipts, group ticket sales, foul-ups with Ticketmaster, fights over missing comps and other snafus at the "Box Office" are also things you could talk about, without violating the privacy and dignity of any Big Name Stars (although that might be more interesting).

    A few years ago, I worked at Our Town's Performing Arts Center...in the sales area (and we did pitch in to help out at the physical Box Office itself on show nights.)

    I will write about it in a Blog Space, and I will be happy to Name Names. (Examples: how Whoopi Goldberg underpriced the tickets for her shows, what happened when that Unfortunate Story about Bill Cosby broke a day or two before he was to do two sold-out performances at Our Theater......how Andrea Marcovicci arrived at the theater by Yellow Cab and came up to the Box Office window to ask for directions to the Stage Door......etc.

    Just I can't right now because of this other stuff.

    PS Are you absolutely sure there is nothing about that "Tongue of a Bird" production that you feel comfortable about sharing.....anything at all.....surely no one would object to a warm story about Marian Seldes.

    Signed, Your Friend,

    Ivana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Wakesuphappy. This is your personal blog, isn't it? You're not writing for a magazine, or writing a weekly theater column - you're sharing your personal thoughts. So...it follows that the posts will be your thoughts, what you choose to share. I happily leave that up to your discretion. I am glad you don't share intimate details. I have also chosen not to do that on my blog.

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete