Monday, May 18, 2009

So, I spent the evening taking quizzes on Facebook.  What a great waste of time.  I realized I knew a lot about dogs and nature, and (hmm) Sex in the City... but very little about World Capitals and characters in classic novels.  (Though I did do well on State Capitals, and can apparently spell well.)  What does that say?  Not sure. I think these quizzes are specious.  No.  I know they are.  Someone's idea of what is smart.  And... given the choice:  Which word is spelled correctly: Asp, Apse, Asep, Apes... which is right?  I chose Apse.. thinking they were looking for, you know, a pew. Apse.  But it could easily been Apes.  The right answer was Asp.  The right answer for the test-giver.  No definition given.  Annoying.  This may in fact be the problem with standardized tests.  The tests actually fail the creative among us.  Ultimately they mean nothing.  I am not playing anymore.  I need to find a real game to play.  Or, maybe just a classic book to read. Clearly I've forgotten more than I've learned.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment