Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Aunt Thing.

I am a "Grand-Aunt."  Wow, baby Chase.  (He is beautiful and looks like my husband.) My first grand-nephew.  With no children of my own I delight in my nieces and nephews.  I am loving watching them grow and learn about the great big world. Several of them are in college now, one is still in grade school. (Do they still call it that?)  And one has married and has a brand new son! Somehow, through all their growing up, I forgot that they too would have children one day.  How remarkable.
Children are indeed an amazing gift.  Particularly for the odd aunt who loves them unconditionally and sees them not quite often enough.  How lovely to hear that my nephew called my husband when the Lakers won last night.  How marvelous my niece is becoming (the most beautiful) archeologist and is traveling the planet, exploring her next dig.  How exciting the 17 year old got her driver's license on the first try.  (She called me on the way home from the DMV.)  How proud I am of my dear nephew graduating high school this year.  And, how heartwarming, when I asked another nephew to lunch on his 13th birthday, if I should include his mom and sister and he said..."no, just us."  Love that some of them are old enough to appreciate Theatre. (And come to my shows.)  Love it all.  Love the newness.  Love their discoveries.  Love how they remind me how far we've come and how much we all have grown.  I am proud of each and everyone of the 9.  No, make that 10! 
My mom would have loved this. We miss her. 
I love the whole family thing.
It is a good thing.  

1 comment:

  1. Aunt M, what a beautiful post. Love you.

    ReplyDelete