Thursday, October 22, 2009

I've said this before and there I am.

Dear Reader,
You know I go on long walks in whatever neighborhood I find myself. Currently, I am walking around my own. (Meaning, I live here. This is MY neighborhood!) I have some wonderful pictures, but my computer is now saying they are all corrupt. My computer has become a critic, I think.
Doesn't matter. We say a picture is worth a thousand words, but perhaps a few words are worth a picture. I'll figure out the picture problem another time, but it does change the theme of my blog.
I wanted to write about the various signs and looks of the neighborhood... the views and vistas, the garden decorations, but maybe my computer is really saying... "Gosh! That is boring!"
What I will then tell you is my neighborhood decorates for EVERY holiday. No, they really do! They of course decorate for Christmas. Some of them leave the Christmas decorations up all year long. Drives me crazy. (I came upon a house today that has hung Halloween pumpkins on the Christmas lights that have been up since last November... geez) (There is a house where the reindeer is sideways on the roof. hmm.) Okay. My neighbors (the ones that actually take down Christmas) decorate for , hmm, let's just go thru the year... Christmas comes down and if they are ambitious, New Years goes up. The next day (I swear) Valentine decorations appear. Then Saint Patrick Day Shamrocks are everywhere. Some neighbors then put up "spring" signs with cute little bears hugging flowers. Easter decorations! Another house I saw the other day had Christmas decorations and Easter decorations all at the same time, all collecting dust. (Remember, this is October!) We head towards Veteran's Day and flags are everywhere. And my neighbors can just leave them up for the 4th of July. August comes and everyone's lawn just dies and nobody decorates. But, then.. September comes and the flags come out again. Bet you didn't know it was National Chicken Month! Oh, gosh, then Halloween. Big time decorations. Whole yards dedicated to scaring the local children. (Yeah, sorry, I do participate in that.) Halloween is over, then turkeys show up in the local yards. Unbelievable and charming in its own way. Gosh almighty... finally, my neighbors don't have to spend any time putting up Christmas. They just finally get to turn on the lights.
Crazy. And, somehow endearing.
I heard from someone from my summer of theatre today. I missed her. I miss them all. But not yet enough to go back. I am enjoying this moment in time. I feel like I should write it like this: {time} Time spent somewhere else.
And there I am.
The pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment