Thursday, October 1, 2009

Home.

As I took my first walk back home, I came to a realize Sunland has but two seasons. Hot and Cold. Right now we are in the "Hot" season. We will have few days of "Mild" before "Cold" season starts. When we are in "Hot" season we try to remember to appreciate the "Cold" season and vice-versa. I don't mean we get fevers in the summer or colds in the winter. I mean the temperature right now is hovering around 90. Sometime in January it will get down to the high 20s. Really. (And, Southern Californians that we are, we get cold if the temp drops below about 62 degrees.)
I walked past a house with the oddest collection of flowers. The colors were bright and varied. There was something about it that was just "off." On closer inspection, I noticed yellow tulips five feet high and out of season flowers blooming in the heat. The owners of this particular home had "planted" silk flowers. The tulips had been tied to a taller vine. The bush closest to me was already turning a little gray from the sun. Weird and a bit remarkable.
I saw one of my neighbors waving frantically in greeting as he drove past.
I was saddened by the ashen mountains overlooking my wandering.
I came up the driveway and was greeted by my loving husband.
So good to be home. (Now, if I can just get unpacked!)

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are home with your husband. Although it is hard for me to visualize you someplace other than the Rep...probably like it was hard for you to visualize me someplace else!

    ReplyDelete