Monday, October 12, 2009

And Yet...

Late night and trying to keep the cigarette smoke from invading the bedroom where my husband is sleeping. I've spent a bit of wonderful time with my niece and her mother (and occasionally my nephew) trying to buy a car for my dear 17 year old niece. Mom and I want safe. She wants tinted windows, a spoiler and a black car that will fit her surfboard. Money is of course an issue. How does one know how to trust a car salesman? We research, they respond. We complain and demand and they promise the moon. We wait in anticipation and the 17 year old wants that car! No, honey, let's see what tomorrow turns up. (I promised her a car by Christmas. We will probably get the car next week.)

Moments in life. How wonderful to share in it. My dear niece has learned more in these two days about navigating life than school ever taught her. So cool and so good. I tell my own students I can't teach them how to do the job, I can only give them the tools. One has to go out and live it! And learn it by doing.

Do I miss stage managing? Well. I needed a break, but I always miss calling a show. (LOL it is my calling.)

No, clearly I've needed the rest. I've been sleeping 10 hours a night. I am always tired in October.

And October! What a great month. The world is liquid and colorful and the sun has such a different attitude. It is sly and soothing and absent and present. Fall in Los Angeles is very distinctive if one has lived here for any length of time. (I still walk in flip-flops, but I wear long pants.)

The house is silent. I have to teach tomorrow. I revel in the solitude and yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment