Saturday, October 31, 2009

55, wow.

Halloween night. Some years we have 40 or more kids appearing at our door in costume. (I hand out full sized Butterfingers every year.) This year, fewer of my neighbors are participating and we live on a dead-end street. Usually a good thing, but at Halloween, without the neighbors' lights to draw the kids down the street, most don't make the dark journey. We've seen but a handful. Alas. I so enjoy giving out candy to random costumed children.
My neighborhood likes to dress up for Halloween.
I enjoy wandering past all the houses decked out to receive the kids, or to host a party. It feels like a bit of a throw-back to the early 60's when hundreds of us took to the streets and came home with piles of candy, the occasional toy and (from the local dentist) a brand new toothbrush. I like the tradition. I like to share in it.
I love how inventive my neighbors are.
Here is a particularly scary invention:
What is it about clowns? Really?

I am 55 today. Wow. 25 short years ago, I was only 30. 25 years before that I was ...5 years old. Life is indeed short and goes by so quickly. I like 55. It looks good from here. I don't feel old, by any means, though I think it is funny that I am now considered a "senior." I had lovely calls from my entire family and my closest friends. Most of the nieces and nephews "texted" me. I think that is a riot. I enjoyed the day. I walked (what a surprise.) I shopped and made stew. (It is the perfect Halloween meal and was glorious!) I ordered and bought myself a cake. I am very particular and wanted the cake to be "just right." We will eat it later with some mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I am still waiting for more children. I see them up the block but they just don't turn right, wander down the street and come to me.

My students will get the benefit of so much left over Halloween candy, along with a very critical evaluation of their midterms and the resultant grades.

We ever move forward. I like the journey. I'm interested and happy and intrigued with what comes next. What happens tomorrow? Hmm, what happens later tonight?

Loving the mystery, looking for the joy, and finding my life occasionally magical.

(Two more tiny children showed up from next door. Yes!)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, friend! You are still younger than me! I hope you had a wonderful day.

    We live on a sort-of country road and we don't get any trick or treaters. We miss that part of Halloween.

    xo

    ReplyDelete