Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Small Wishes, Small Dreams.


Whoa. What a weird weekend. K, I should first explain that my "weekend" is Monday. Period. Monday. That is it. Oh, and I teach on my day off. That would be... Monday.
I drove to LA very late Sunday night, only to be hit with the mountains around my house BURNING. I first caught sight of it near Long Beach. That is REALLY far away. I could see flames. I drove into the conflagration, and as I got closer I could see from one end to the other the mountains were on fire. I know I opened my mouth and put my hand to one side of my face. It was truly an unbelievable sight. And, I drove right into it. I got home, got out of the car, and, friends, I couldn't breathe. Sharp and acrid and clearly poisonous, I made may way quickly into the house my husband had prepared to keep all smoke out! Spent a day and a half, driving to USC, teaching, and then, watching the fires. At this particular moment in time... we are good. For the first time in a week we can't see flames from the house. The worst may be over. (The very nice policeman I spoke to said.." never say never.") I am back in San Diego. I have my job down here. This is my fourth year doing the Rep. I've never wanted to be back home more in all those years than I do right now.
It is always hard, these last few weeks when I have to come up to LA to teach. I always wish I could stay "home." This was different. My home is in danger. My husband is in danger. I want, I need to be home. Disconcerting. Disorienting. WEIRD.
Well, he is fine. He is stronger than he knows he is. I am proud of him, taking care of our home and property. He is. Thank goodness! I trust him.
So, I am back in Eden. I am back in San Diego, worried about Nod. Worried about the wider world out there. Worried about my little backyard.
But we are Okay. We are Okay. We seemed to have been blessed. (The house is NOTHING.
Our lives and memories are all. We care, but we don't care about things. He and I, we will always be O.K. )
We have each other. A house is not a home. Home is where you hang your hat.
My mom taught me that.
Small favors. Small wishes. Small dreams. Not unimportant. Just unique and specific. Our lives are built on that.
Oh, and it was REALLY hot too.

No comments:

Post a Comment