Saturday, May 29, 2010

A View From The Booth.


Here is my view from the booth.  



The large houselight obscures my view of stage right.  The angle is really steep.  And when I sit back in my chair it looks a little like this:



Yikes!  Designers of Theatres do not really consider the person sitting upstairs running the whole thing!

One more:

Looks like a dollhouse.  Kinda funny, right?  (If you look closely you can see my arms and my hands reflected in the glass as I took the picture.) 

We are stage managers.  We adapt.  We should probably complain more, but we are always presented with the fait accompli and are never asked our opinions when a theatre is built.  So, we duck and peer, squirm and wiggle around as we try to call a show.  

Architects are artists, right?  Stage Managers are artists too, and should be consulted!

Why not make each space the best it can be?

I'm just saying... 

1 comment:

  1. You would think they might ask? I bet they'd get a lot of good information from the people that have to work in the space!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete