Sunday, May 16, 2010

Too Much Stuff.

Finally opened my most recent show this evening. Mid-adventure, I find myself thinking about the next.

But First.

I have to go through my closet and get rid of those clothes I've kept for too many rag-tag years. I need to reduce the number of shoes I own. Those tight white heels and the oversized sandals. I can't wear them. The other two pairs of shoes I've worn to death should be tossed. They look like crap, but are sooo comfortable. I hate the sneakers I bought last summer. They are in great shape, but I will never wear them again. I have a collection of multi-colored flip-flops. Mostly worn out, but I hang onto them because...? (Well, the flower ones are so pretty but the soles have become slick and I slide and fall in them... but they are pretty!)

I have this urge to simplify my life and I think that starts with getting rid of all the old stuff I've forgotten I have. (Every closet and the garage - full!) I don't even like some of this stuff cluttering up my life.

My dad has a new rule at his house. After a visit with him, his children must find two things to take away. (We are not allowed to give him gifts anymore. I bring him stew or some other dish he can freeze and eat later.) I try to take useful things I know he'll never use again. An old book of poetry (I've boxes of books) or a archaic piece of kitchen equipment. A melon baller or a strawberry pincher. (So now, of course, my kitchen is full too!)

I need to buy new clothes. I look like some poor person. I have a blouse (nearly rags now) that I still wear. I bought it in high school.

Too much. I need to be free of the burden of too much stuff. Where to start? All those scripts filling my bedroom bookcase! Why have I kept my old computer and two broken cell phones?

I need a new rule in my house.

For every one thing I bring in, I get rid of three. I like it.

1 comment:

  1. I deal with the same thing. And I am sick of all my clothes! I very seldom buy something new. Budget, and all that.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete