Friday, May 21, 2010

Come See a Show.

Hey, Here I Am, Eddy-Buddy!

That is what my father repeatedly says I said when he recounts my two-year old naked response to greeting everybody at the door. I maintain it was my sister Kris. She agrees, it was she. (I seem to remember her at the door....) But, no, my dad insists it was I.

No memory of that.

I've a good memory for many things and less so for things that have happened recently.

So, I record.

Tonight, my show... hmmm. Well, earlier today we got an email saying we had 6 people for tonight's show, 5 people for tomorrow's show, 4 for the matinee and none for the evening show on Saturday. (Sunday was just as dismal.) We all sent out invitations. This show is not a waste of your time. It is a really good show, with wonderful acting. Nobody is coming. Breaks my heart.

The Theatre has no money for advertising. Their contact list is for people of color. None of them want to see the show, seemingly. We are the first "white show" the company has produced. God, I hate writing this, but it is the truth. The Latino Theatre Company now running the LATC has got all the people of color coming downtown, but can't get white people to come see a show. They can't even get their base to come see a "white" show. It is frustrating and complicated.

My colleague and fellow stage manger did not even realize we were being produced by his company. He thought we were a rental.

No, the LATC is reaching out to all! Come. The shows are great. The place needs your support.

I'm exhausted.

The LATC has no money. Tonight, my monitor went down. I called the show reading lips. (My dear crew man could not fix the problem.) It was..... difficult.

There are payroll problems and constant equipment problems. The company is small and trying to be bigger.

I'm sympathetic.
I'm trying to help.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment