Monday, May 24, 2010

Constant Contact.

About 30 minutes ago I got a call on my cell phone from my niece.  It was nearly one in the morning!  Scary.  She was fine, just knew I'd be up.  Her mom (my sister) needed some reassurance about our 85 year old dad.  Glad it was minor.  Glad I could assist!

Funny how cellphones have changed our lives.  Interesting that nearly everyone who tries to reach me tries my cellphone first.  (I tend to do the same to them.)  My home phone costs me the same whether I use it or not.  I pre-pay my cell and every call eats up minutes.  It's okay.  I don't begrudge the pennies, I investigated and pre-paying is cheaper for me than any plan out there.  I just don't expect to use it at home!

Maybe it has something to do with the "privacy" of the cell phone. (Yes, I know Google can "hear" everything!)  I have my own number.  My husband has a different number.  We share the land-line.  If someone is trying to reach me and doesn't want to talk to anyone else, he/she will tend to call the cell.  What no one realizes is my husband never answers either his cell or our home phone unless the caller id ids me. He will screen almost everyone else. He is not often well enough to engage.  The home phone rings twice and the answering machine picks up.  (We have it set that way because it is easier for him. He can lay on the couch listening, waiting to hear if that someone calling needs him before he makes the trek to the office to answer.  People have to leave messages at our house.  My friends and family have learned this.  They will jabber and sing until we pick up or they get bored.  My sister counts.  My suggestion.  "Hi, Mary, it's your sister, are you home? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..."  Tickles me no end!)

Hmm.  My niece knows all this, as does my sister.  Question answered. They needed to reach me and didn't want to disturb Uncle Phil. They called my cell.  Makes perfect sense.

I get calls everywhere I go now.  I have a bluetooth, so I can take calls in the car.  Constant Contact.  A little different than Constant Craving... or Constant Comment... (okay... enough!)

I am grateful that my father and husband (and extended family) can always reach me.  I have to be available to my actors.  Overall, this is a good thing.

But, then comes that cellphone call in the middle of the night from one's 18 year old niece.  Scary every time!

1 comment:

  1. Same deal with us. Two cell phones and a land line. But, as you know, when I'm home I very seldom have my cell on because our coverage is so spotty out in the country.

    Any call at 1 am is scary!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete