Thursday, March 10, 2011

We Don't Need Another Hero...

"We don't need another hero. We just need to know the way home." Yeah, I'm quoting Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome. But...I'm also quoting a Tina Turner song. Gives a little more credence to it, don't you think?

We don't need another hero.  (I have to ask myself.. another? Who was really the last hero? If you say Reagan, you don't belong here. Go away.)

Life is tough out here outside the 400 people who make the most money in this country. People are scared and voting accordingly because some richer folk think the not rich want to take away the money the richer folk worked so hard to come by.  Well, I'm here to tell you, nobody is mad at the just rich folk. We all want to be you. That is part of the American Dream. We are mad at the same people who should infuriate you. Those 400 who hold most of the wealth in this country, control it through congress and contributions and lobbyists and then sit on the cash, are screwing us. They hire domestics and no one else. All other jobs are sent overseas. The tax breaks these richest receive, intended to boost the economy are just ending up in some new version of a savings account. For them. (We are talking about BILLIONS here.) They've tied up the cash. There is nothing to loan or spend or hire. Some kind of apocalypse is simmering, brewing and will come to full boil soon.  

We've forgotten "Noblesse Oblige." No, maybe "they've" forgotten. The richest only exist if the populace is okay too. I am afraid the workers of this country will finally rise up and challenge the inequity (and stupidity) displayed by the radical right. I humbly put forward the premise that the radical right is uneducated on the real issues and doesn't understand economics or government. I think the radical right is looking for a demon to blame and does not understand what they stand to lose. They've become pawns. I think that is sad.

Like so many people today, I can't find a job. I work part-time teaching at USC.  Yeah, pretty impressive. My primary source of income has always been the theatre. Those jobs have dried up. That means... my husband and I are living on our savings. We are not buying products so are not contributing to the sales tax. We are not paying income tax.. no income, no tax. Can't afford gas. Hmm. Another tax base lost. Foreclosures? No more property tax revenue from those poor folks. Oh, I know, let's tax cigarette smokers! Not too many of us left anymore.

The longer we are all out of work the worse the recession will become. It is self-perpetuating.

Maybe we all need to look to Wisconsin and understand what the fight is really about. The middle-class is in danger of disappearing. Vote Republican if you must, but understand what is really at stake here and how much your party has given away your livelihood.

Oh, and I am a democrat in name only. I vote my conscience. I support us all.

mkk.

2 comments:

  1. It's more than 400 people who are the villains here, but in general I agree with everything you say. We have citizens who are unwilling and/or unable to think critically and analytically, ignorant of history, and mesmerized by corporate sensationalist media. People earning lots of money used to be taxed at a 60% rate. The more one has the more one is benefitting from the infrastructure and stability of government services. I am incensed that people are so selfish, so ignornant.

    ReplyDelete