Friday, September 10, 2010

A Note and PINK TOES!

Wishing I had more followers.  If you read me, just click the follow button.  It would so boost my morale.

I was walking down Broxton Street in Westwood the other day and an attractive 50 something homeless guy called out... "Hey, pretty toes!"  Well, you know how manicured I am and I had to smile.  The smile encouraged him and he asked me, "If I win the lottery, will you go out with me?"  I grinned and said, "Of Course!"  I never respond to overtures from people on the street, but I was just so charmed.  Apparently, if you compliment my toes, I'm all yours!  He then asked me if I would marry him.  I told him, "Sorry, Already Married!" I smiled and walked away.  Truly, he'd made my day.

Today, I walked down the same street and I witnessed this same man taking to task a university student (UCLA is right here) who had berated one of his fellow street people.  He was quite emphatic and very eloquent.  He didn't see me, but I was impressed by his passion and compassion.

I was heading down to buy a newspaper so I'd have something to read while I had my solitary dinner.  I returned the same way.  He saw me 1/2 a block away.  "Oh, there she is! Pretty toes!  He greeted me and I acknowledged him.  He asked again..."We'll go to dinner, right?  When I win the lottery?"  I said, "Oh! Yes! Of Course!"  (I was taken with him.)  This time he asked me to leave my husband.  He said he'd give me all the money.  Oh, what a gift, to have a stranger (now apparently my friend and fiance) offer such a gift.  I said, "Oh, yes!"

I've made a friend.

The delight he and I shared is a gift and totally unexpected.  "Pretty Toes" was a very good line, to me.  It worked.  Who knew?  He made me smile. That created a connection. I trust that this lovely homeless guy will look out for me now.  I love that. I love that he noticed my toes. Silly, but, what are relationships really built on?  Casual comments?  Yeah, you know, I think so.

I look forward to seeing my admirer again. I know he has also become my protector. For me, a very comforting thought.

1 comment:

  1. Oddly, I have my own "Toes" story. I was in an elevator and a middle-aged, very well dressed man looked at my french-manicured and rhinestone studded pedicure and said in a heavily accented English - "Ma-dam...you have such beautiful feet." I realized, if his English were his first language, he probably would have just said "Hey, cool toes" - but I loved his formal compliment. I still get a kick out of this!

    ReplyDelete