Friday, September 3, 2010

Communion.

In tech again... It is going well.  My students are visiting and are more interested in what is happening on stage than what is in my book or what I am doing.  Hmm. Inter-resting.  I don't give pre-instruction.  I am checking their instincts.

I'd normally say at this point, "another show.." But, we are clearly doing a revised version of the show we just did for 6 weeks.  The lighting designer Peter, has the biggest challenge.  The space is just so different.  We are teaching the new crew. They are marvelous. Sound is challenged because our drummer is absent due to a death in the family. Ah, live theatre. Unending problems, but the show "must" go on.

And, on we go.

My attention is focused on the task at hand. I am so happy to be working in LA that the 45 min to 1 1/2 hour drive (traffic) I take each way does not bother me. I'm sorry to be so far away from my cast, but so happy to be with my husband. Fair trade. I get to come home at night.

The Geffen Playhouse allots a full week to tech. We did not need that much time and gave two days of tech over to first day business and spacing. We started tech tonight. In three hours we teched one quarter of the show! (We are fast tech-ers!) We still have 32 1/2 hours left of tech before our first preview.  We will be fine tuning and will have a well rehearsed show by then.  I may even get an opportunity to work with the understudies. Strange business.

I like the people here. I like the space. I hope they see that I could easily become a member of their family.

In the meantime, we tech, we rehearse, we perform.
We do the job that educates, entertains and informs. We are artists all, and we love the communion.

1 comment: