Friday, January 22, 2010

Sun Through The Clouds.

The rain is crazy falling down. We are in the middle of the 3rd or 4th storm. I forget. I took this picture the other day from my front porch, as the 2nd storm abated.
I thought, "oh, good, we got through this one." The sky in the west cleared as the sun was starting to descend and it started raining all over again. But! The sun was shining from its descent, through the rain. I got these two pictures from my backyard.
Okay, they don't quite match up, but I was using my cell phone. It was a glorious full rainbow!
Gotta love it, but I do remember what the nuns told us... the rainbow means the world will never again be destroyed by flood, "fire next time." Oh, good.

Well, my husband and I have survived this series of storms without damage and in great communion with each other. We have the remnants of the final storm tomorrow coming through and finally some very important appointments to keep (Medical and Laundry-ical.) I went downtown for my meeting Tuesday at LATC on what turned out to be the worst day. After a very lovely, exciting and productive reunion with my colleague and friend I walked back through the streets of downtown L.A. in a torrent of rain, got into my car, turned on the radio and heard that I was in the path of a possible tornado! Just as this news made its way to my brain, FLASH, CRASH, BOOM, the lightning was so bright and the thunder so loud and immediate it actually rattled the windows of my car. Yikes. I drove home very carefully!

I am happy to say we spent the next couple of days holed up and happy. I cooked and read and did some puzzles. He cleared the drain in the kitchen, exercised and read. We watched t.v., Netflix and played our new favorite game, "Bananagrams." I figured out how to transfer all our prescriptions to "Cigna Home Delivery Pharmacy." (My Union is insisting we get our maintenance drugs through the mail now.) All in all, a pleasant, productive week. There is something to be said for having to stay at home once in a while.

It is raining again. I can hear it pattering.

I wish I could brush back this rain off of me.
It doesn't pay to look this good if nobody sees.
Settle back they tell me, the weather's in your eyes.
The mint leaf picked tastes better
with a kiss for compromise.

Give me back my letters
I'm back in Berkeley's Soul.
My hair is where it used to be.
My collar doesn't show.
And I'm all for good time money,
but no gold stops this show.

I wish I could wish,
and there I would be.
Sun through the clouds,
And the sunshine on me.
"Walk this way," you ask me,
"And lie beneath the shade."
The fact remains it's raining,
And that gave it away.

Give me back my letters
I'm back in Berkeley's Soul.
My hair is where it used to be.
My collar doesn't show.
And I'm all for good time money,
but no gold stops this show...
No gold stops this show.

by Philip J. Hilow, sometime in the 1970's.

1 comment:

  1. These photos are so dramatic - beautiful! The poem amazing! Best wishes on your work endeavors...all my love, Denise

    ReplyDelete