Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Job Hunt. Part 1.

Looking for work. Looking for meaningful employment. Looking for a job with health benefits and a pension. Specifically looking for an Equity Stage Management Position.

How does one go about this? It has been 25 years since I've had to actually look. I've said this before. I've been extremely lucky in my career. Jobs have always just found me. This is very peculiar for me.

So, what have I done so far? Well, last Monday I started in earnest to "look for work." I emailed a couple more people whom I felt could help. (I've been trying to keep my contacts local for the time being. The optimum job would be in or around Los Angeles.) I've reached out to The Mark Taper Forum and Ahmanson, The Pasadena Playhouse and the new LATC. I've called stage manager friends who often are contacted by out-of-town producers to recommend people for work. I've called my closest, dearest directors and emailed friendly producers. I've posted requests for work on facebook. I've notified my union. I've collected a series of people who are more than happy to act as references. I've subscribed to artsearch and I check the Equity Job Postings daily.

What have I not done? I have not contacted The Geffen Playhouse. The drive is more than I'm willing to face at the moment, but I probably will in the next couple of weeks. I have not yet tried some of my more inventive ideas, ideas that would take me out of stage managing and off on another course. I have not contacted any organization outside the L.A. area. It will come to that eventually, though, I'm sure. I have more directors to email and plan to reconnect with some of my past designers. Who knows where the next job will come from? I have not redone my resume. It sits at 4 pages and is a little ridiculous. I need to tackle that soon, maybe later today.

So, what has been the result of this tentative labor?
I've been invited to have a meeting with the Artistic Director of the new Los Angeles Theatre Center. I'll arrange that next week. I have received many letters of support and outrage from friends and dear colleagues. This is gratifying, if not a bit overwhelming!

And.. that's it. No jobs in the offing. Not yet. I will continue on this course with patience and without rancor. In the meantime, I'll work on the part-time job I do have, teaching stage management at USC. I'm prepped and ready for my first class tomorrow and will focus my attention there.

I will spend more time with my husband and enjoy being home. I will continue to be optimistic and wake up happy.

I will keep you "posted." (I still make myself laugh.)

1 comment: