Thursday, November 12, 2009

There, Their, They're.

My journeys with my students prompt me to write this. I could say my journeys through my email prompts me too.

There they're sitting, waiting for their coffee. You're looking lovely today in your new hat. When it's raining, the robot and its friends aren't happy.

Just off the top of my head, some examples of the proper way to use homophones. We seem to have come to a place in culture and language where it doesn't matter what form or spelling one uses, as long as it sounds like it should.

Not true.

My (then) 11 year old nephew reported to me two years or so ago, that he was board. I wrote to him and explained he was not a two by four, but was in fact afflicted with ennui. (He was bored.)

I want a piece of cake. I want peace for the planet. I may be part of a clique. I heard a click and thought someone was coming through the door. I threw a baseball. I'm through with you. Too many people try to do two things at once.

I don't know why these distinctions are so difficult. My college students mix these words up all the time and I feel obliged not only to correct them, but to grade them accordingly. I've learned to let my friends slide (though I grind my teeth!)

Communication is a slippery slope. Precision is everything, particularly in my line of work.

We needed a prop. (The following is true.) I found on the prop list a new prop. Ore. What we actually needed was an oar. See how confusing this can be? See how easily a casual error in spelling can not only waste time, but not deliver a needed rehearsal and performance product?

Drives me crazy!

I've had several conversations lately about the inexact nature of emails. I agree. We don't get the visual or verbal cues we are used to when we communicate either face to face or by telephone. We are relying on words more than ever. Spellcheck just doesn't do it, folks.

Seem, Seam. Break, Brake. Cite, Site. Affect, Effect. (NOT EVEN HOMOPHONES, People!) Deign, Dane. Rain, Rein. Gait, Gate. Plait, Plate. Pain, Pane. Prey, Pray. Queue, Cue. Rue, Roue. Thyme, Time. Whine, Wine... Lye, Lie. Dye, Die.

The above are just a few examples. But, take a look and you will see that the distinction between the pairs of words changes the meaning enormously.

I will endeavor to clean up my language and always try to communicate with clarity. I will teach my students to do the same. I truly believe this is the path worth taking. I truly believe misunderstanding is endemic to our global problems.

And Next... Adverbs!

My rant for the evening.


1 comment:

  1. Drives me crazy, too. And don't even get me going on how many commercials I watch where the actor stresses a pronoun. I go nuts!

    ReplyDelete