Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Doing is ALL. (and some funny pictures.)

Wednesday I go back to San Diego to make an early start on the 2010 Shakespeare Festival. I will meet with a director I've had no more than a few words with, up until now, and will get a chance to "get a feel" for him. It is a rare opportunity. I want to be prepared, but all I know is I will meet with him sometime after noon and that he asked the Old Globe to speak with someone about the schedule. Apparently.. that person is me. This should be interesting. I have more to discuss with him than just the schedule, though the schedule is important. I'm hoping for a meeting of minds. We'll see. I go with open eyes and no expectations.

I taught an interesting class today in stage management. The topic was "Running a Show." I gave what I thought was an inspiring lecture and we discussed the specific issues of maintaining a piece of theatre. I told my students many secrets. I gave them strategies and methods of manipulation. A small part of me wonders if I said too much, but the larger well being of future companies outweighed my need to be discreet. My student stage managers need to know. They need to know how to handle a group of very creative and unmanageable individuals. This includes the crew. Taking care of such a large community, creating a company, is a very delicate process and one that needs to be addressed with tact, anticipation, and action. Unfortunately, I can only talk about stage managing. I can't teach it unless the students are there, with me in rehearsal, tech, understudy rehearsals and in the booth. (And backstage, and in the dressing rooms, and after the show and with the actors at a party.)

Difficult. I try to give them the tools. We talked today for a bit about laying out a floor. (My class is 3 hours long... I have the time!) Confusing for them and I realized that next semester we have to actually lay out a floor. Theory is one thing. Doing is all.

It was a good day. I went to Trader Joe's. Love that place. They have a sparkling Pinot Grigio for $3.99 that is to die for. Bought some water too. And those little tomatoes. Love those. I never leave that place spending less than $30.00. Hummus! Tangerine Juice, yes.

Pour yourself a glass of wine. You'll need it for this next segment.

My neighborhood never stops surprising me.
I call this "Barney Rubbles's House". LOL . Well, Look at it!

This next house is obsessed with frogs. I could only get a couple of clear(ish) pictures from this house. They had a fence blocking the view.
They love these frogs. Curious.

Look closely. LAND SHARK! (Really, truly, a house on my walk!)

We do have autumn.
Okay. Maybe, just a little bit.

My bleary eyed tree. Well, maybe, I'm just a little out of focus... Part of Sunland Park. Nice.

Okay, down the street from these beautiful trees is a trailer park with this sign:
Oh!! My!! Gosh!! I could live there now! Yikes!

I took this last picture yesterday because my husband remarked what a great view this was. (Blocks from my home.)

I'm done. Isn't this a little like coming over someone's house and having to watch a slide show of her vacation? Oh, boy. How many of you actually had and/or remember THAT experience?

Wish you were here.
xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment