Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lost Hills.

There is a town in the Central Valley of California called "Lost Hills." I have driven through this little town a number of times traveling from L.A. to San Francisco. The name has always struck me as wonderfully funny, because, in fact, one can't see any hills while in Lost Hills. (Remember, this town is in a valley; there are hills all around. One just can't see them there...)

Lost Hills has a road called (I kid you not!) Brown Material Road. I woke up this morning thinking about "Brown Material Road."

Hmm. Right now, I feel like I'm living in Lost Hills on Brown Material Road. I don't feel I have to be any more graphic. I am being a little sardonic and metaphorical, but imagine... actually living on Brown Material Road in Lost Hills.

I don't. I live in Sunland. On Nassau Street. How pleasant is that?

Different looks at different place names. For all I know, living on Brown Material Road in Lost Hills is "Eden," with a funny name.

No comments:

Post a Comment