Sunday, November 15, 2009

Serendipity. When the Search Pays Off.

Interesting day. We have been a little concerned about H1N1 and have searched repeatedly for a source of vaccine for my MS inflicted husband. Today, finally, we found a clinic blocks from our house. Free vaccinations! (Don't need it "free," just need it. Can't find it for love or money.) Long lines. I went to the front and said, "My husband has MS and can't stand in this long line" (true, we would have gone home.) ... they took us right away. They were so organized, I was very impressed. They kept asking me if I was to have a vaccine. I could have lied, easily, (said I had asthma or something...) but knowing my husband's need, and understanding we have a shortage of vaccine, I declined, reporting that I didn't think I qualified. After a very careful, quick screening of my husband, he received the shot. I stopped at the information booth on the way out and asked if I could stand in line for the shot. She asked me, "How old are you?" I said, "55." She said, "We are not doing older people right now." Yikes! I am older people... I laughed and said "thanks a lot, geez, I'm older!" She smiled and said, "hey, I'm older than you!" (Great comfort.)

I am happy to give up a chance to be vaccinated for people who could literally die from the flu. No problem. I'll get it when it becomes more widely available. I am beyond pleased that the local government set up a system that made it easy for me to get my sick husband covered. They were organized and it was easy. I don't often speak out in support of anything politicians do. Well, this was well done. My tax dollars well spent. The entire episode took about 30 minutes. The security my government gave my husband is well appreciated. I thank you health workers, volunteers, the City of Sunland and all you generous people. Thank-you.

No comments:

Post a Comment