Friday, November 6, 2009

God Posts a Billboard.

Tonight, at the "Burrito Factory" picking up a dinner order, a customer talking to another diner was saying what a great place Sunland is to live. He said, "the people have always been nice, we are a blue collar neighborhood, you know, working class, and it has been great to live here." It is great to live here. It is a working class neighborhood. It is not the West Side. It is not Beverly Hills. It is not even close to Culver City, but it is my home. We bought here because we could afford it and it is close to my parents. Well, my parent now. My mom died a few years ago. I don't necessarily agree with the politics of my latest hometown, but my neighbors are friendly, religious, gracious humble people. But, they are losing their jobs and their health insurance, or having to pay COBRA prices and are scared. They don't know who to believe. They don't know who to vote for. They just don't understand and really just want jobs and affordable health care. They think they are Republican. But, that party keeps betraying them. I know the Democrats don't do any better by them. The two parties are in a battle that no one really cares about. They, WE, just need the system to change. None of us care whether one party or another does it. None of us. Really, I hear it in this little neighborhood. We need help. We can't afford groceries, let alone health care. I now pay over $8,000 a year in health care premiums for me and my husband and my health care is mostly paid for by my union.

When one is less than rich, (I don't want to say "poor," there are far poorer people than we) one worries about the cost, and probably has no plan one can afford, because the less money one has, the more healthcare costs. When one is rich, one has more options. When one is over 65 one has government healthcare called Medicare. Not the rest of us. We struggle. Period. This sucks. Then, there are those rare individuals who have accrued more money than some of us, and worry not about healthcare. They can afford whatever the policy doesn't cover. And, those few seem to have the policies that DO cover that surgery or procedure. They can PAY the premiums. We who cannot are devalued in this country because we don't make the MONEY to contribute to the gross excesses of the insurance companies. I stress money because it seems to be the only important ambition one should have in this country. Making Money? That is what is important? Where we've come to? Really? Not quality of life? Not happiness? Not Art and Music? Science? Theatre? Or just plain old Dreams? Okay, you know what? That sucks.
My life is worth more. (So is yours.)

Look, I've been a big believer in Capitalism. (Big fan of Ayn Rand.) But, I've never believed Capitalism should be as dishonest as it is right now. The cheating and the short-term gains at the expense of one's fellow citizens is horrifying. Who are these people that need THAT much money? Most of them call themselves Christians to boot. What?

I identify myself as a humanist. I believe in people, not some invisible nonsense. (No offense intended, dear reader.) I believe that most people are good and that most people care about each other. I care about my neighbors and my friends and my family. I care about people struggling and try to send help. I believe in this life and the people who populate this life. I am not looking for some strange and amorphous reward later. But, .. I will not build a fortune on the misfortune of others. That is what I think is happening right now. I think there are some (very little) people who see the opportunity to make some quick money off people who have very little control in the world. I call these people politicians. Our elected reps are NOT representing us anymore! Why do they feel they have to "go across the aisle?" Why don't they JUST do what is right? Courage!

DO WHAT IS RIGHT!

Fix the fucking healthcare system. Find a way to stop the wars! We are all suffering! No, we are crying.

Stop fucking around.

God posts a billboard: "QUIT IT"

(stolen from a cartoon by Dan Piraro)

No comments:

Post a Comment