Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Parades In Our Future.

I love a parade. Not the big ones.. not the New York Macy's Day Parade or even the Rose Parade.. though that one is very pretty! I love the little home grown parades that show up on the 4th of July or Memorial Day. I love the local color.

My parents gave us kids a tandem bike many years ago and my sister Kris and I dressed it up with balloons and crepe paper and entered the Chatsworth, California parade. I believe my brother Joe helped us and my other two sisters, Dedie and Jenny cheered us on. I remember I felt so proud as I rode past my 5th Grade teacher, Mr. Y. Yes, that is what we called him. He waved to us and I was so happy. Simple things. Simple rememberings.

In Sunland, my current and probably forever hometown does parades. Phil and I used to go. The police do this wonderful demonstration of motorcycle maneuvering... really amazing, blaring sirens the entire time.. horseback riders come through and little kids come after in go-carts. Government Congressmen ride past in cars waving to all the people who did not vote for them. It is so much fun and so ... local. Love it. (So funny too.)

Don't know why, but in the middle of winter I am thinking about 4th of July Parades! (An English Man whom I do not like once asked me.. "What do you call the 4th of July?" I said, " We call it "The 4th of July"." and I thought... "you idiot.")

Ah.. It may be the middle of winter... but there are parades in our future!

No comments:

Post a Comment