Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Love Letter. A Stage Manager's Reflection.

I love actors. I love them. I love their commitment to their dream. I love their perseverance in the face of overwhelming odds. I love the tenacity and sheer inventiveness, recreating themselves for each and every audition. I love the self-absorption, because I get it. I find I want to take care of them. It seems to be my mission.

The actor is the most important element in every show I do. I endeavor to support and encourage. I try to read and understand each actor's need and ability to take a note. I am not always successful, but my intent is to give a note that helps the performance and makes the performer perform better. I spend time in rehearsal getting to know my actors and my director so I can give notes that stay true to the director's vision and so the actors will trust my commitment to them. I talk to them before each and every show and check in after each show.

My job as a stage manager is to take care of the show. The single best way to do this is to take care of my actors. (Calling cues and knowing I am performing with them is another blog. That is about my art.)

Supporting the actors is not my only responsibility. I am also interested in the welfare of the crew so I  endeavor to create a work environment that supports and protects them. I will take full responsibility to effect this end. The crew needs to know how much I appreciate the mostly un-thanked work they do too.

Honestly... I think this is all about management. All about people. Take care of the people and you take care of the show.

My philosophy in a nutshell.

I always miss my actor friends after they are gone; after the show ends. I always look forward to seeing and working with them again. Coffee is good too.

xo

3 comments:

  1. I sure look forward to working with you again - soon! I can vouch for the great care you lavish on your actors. I've seen it in action.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said! I share your philosophy, and loved reading this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really hit me as I read it this morning. It's something I think about a lot and strive to do as a stage manager, even being so new and young in the field. Thank you for being a mentor and giving me something to strive towards.

    Much Love,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete