Friday, June 3, 2011

My Rant.

I'm angry.

I'm angry that my congressman just sent out a flyer that I probably paid for full of lies about the current health care initiative. (He is a Republican and I will write to him tomorrow. I write to him often.)

I'm angry that the co-pay on a drug that helps my husband feel just a bit better is nearly $200. I go to the pharmaceutical company website, and to get help I can't have health insurance. Hmm. With health insurance it is too expensive! I wrote to the corporate office. Let's see what they say.

I'm angry that rich bloated men are stealing our country and nobody on the right seems to see this. (Oh, and the trickle down theory does not seem to work... just, by the way!)

When the government takes money from the Arts, ALL the artists suffer. (So does society... no access! no joy, no thought, no relief.) All the people who work to actualize that art suffer. Doesn't anyone realize artists and the support staff too pay taxes and consume? How stupid are the people running this government? Look at the tax base they are losing.

I see this and I am not an economist. (I am an artist.) We currently buy nothing but food and gas and pay our mortgage. We did spend about $100 on clothes today. Had to. The old clothes were a little thread-bare.  No growth here. No growth anywhere. Truly, I'd love to hire a gardener. It is a small ambition. I can't. My very sick husband mows the lawn and cuts the weeds. It's okay. It is cheaper this way. But because there is no work for me, there is no work for the gardener either. Get it?

I'm angry. I know I've talked about this before but lettuce is no longer affordable. Neither are decent tomatoes. (Sorry, the cheap tomatoes taste like crap.) My doctor told me to eat Kale. I thought kale would be cheap. I mean, who likes kale? It is very expensive. I've become the coupon queen. If it isn't on sale... I wait for next week to see if it is.

I'm angry. I heard today that if other countries don't buy our goods after we've spent so much money buying their goods we increase our debt. I challenge you to buy something made in the USA. I buy from American Apparel as much as I can. I try to avoid products made in China, but it is nearly impossible. (The shirt I bought today was made in VietNam.) I can't find clothes made here in any dept. store any more. Why is that?

I'm angry. I'm post menopausal. I fought the good fight years ago so women could have control of their own bodies. Why is abortion such a topic now and again? We won this and now we are losing this. Ladies! Why aren't you angry that the government is trying to control your reproductive rights? I can't fight this battle for you. I did it already. Go! Be Heard!

Oh, and why are proponents of small government trying pass legislation that give you fewer rights? Oh, and cost more? Look to Florida... requiring women seeking abortion to have ultra-sounds. Costs the state more money. Requiring drug testing for people seeking assistance even if there is no suspicion of abuse.  When did civil liberties take a holiday?

This is all so stupid. The Republican Party wants to limit government. You know this is true, they say it all the time. Then... they want to impose laws that restrict a woman's right to control her own body. They want to prosecute doctors. They want to feed you a line of crap about how the economy works and they are wrong. Rich people in times of recession/depression hold onto their money. They don't let it "trickle down."

The rich need to pay the price they took to make them rich. They could never have made the money they did without all of us. They owe it to us to pay their fair share of taxes.

Really. Do you think that CEO is smarter than you? I bet he is not smarter than a 6 year old.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on everything. I am so angry lately - more and more basic rights are being eroded - it enrages me. I don't get it, but it seems we are regressing at an alarming rate.

    We buy food, gas and pay the bills and the mortgage. Barely. It has been very, very tough indeed lately.

    I am especially angry at things like your ridiculously high co-pay. I feel like the great majority of Americans are not being represented or taken care of. What happened to this country?

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete