Tuesday, September 19, 2017

My Mentor and What He Did on 9/11

Quote from Judi Davidson: 
True true true: Miss The Red Shoes at the Ahmanson and live to regret it! Gordon was the first to bring Matthew Bourne's company to America ("Swan Lake") and continued to premier
all his productions in the US.


Me: REALLY? Wow! I didn't know. I was so just family there. I thought every thing we did was new and perfect. It really was. Man. Judi, I was so lucky to have you and Gordon in my life. Gordon was truly my mentor and made me the stage manager I am today. I had another First Rehearsal today and Gordon was in my thoughts as I brought the room together for the meet and greet. It was the same. I actually mentioned how Gordon taught me how to throw focus to the ARTISTIC DIRECTOR. Yay! The thing about Matthew Bourne.. 9/11 was one day before the opening of CAR MAN at the Ahmanson. I had tickets and had arranged for my ASM to call my show next door at the Taper so I could bring Phil and see the show! GD of course had to cancel the 9/11 shows and delayed Car Man's opening.. but on 9/12 he had them perform to the invited audience and I believe any one else who wanted to come. We went. Gordon gave the most beautiful speech about our national sorrow without taking focus from the artists about to perform. It was a wondrous night for me and for Phil whose birthday it was. We cried and loved our community. The show was magical and healing and your husband helped us move forward. I was in NYC with him for QED just a few days after that. Sorry this is so long. I am still on steriods for my cancer and I get a bit wordy and weepy. Love you so much and please know that I share your grief. I also share your love for a man I was privileged to know, to love and to be loved by.

No comments:

Post a Comment