Friday, January 25, 2013

Book Report on Facebook.

I was challenged to write a blog about "Social Media." I spent some time earlier this week and wrote a very dry "book report" about how I felt. I did not publish it at the time. The blog offered nothing new and was boring!

Suffice to say, I like social media. I prefer the occasional text message (maybe that qualifies as social media?) because a text feels more personal. I far prefer a lengthy email or a phone call.. or a coffee, in person, with friends. More ... human.

For those who enjoy reading textbook-like material I have included the earlier blog below. Yawning has been pre-approved and is expected.

Wednesday, January 23:
"While examining the topic "Social Media" one is immediately drawn into a conversation about facebook in particular.  While I recognize twitter and linkedin are also quite popular they serve different interests and are not the subject of this blog.

Facebook is a remarkable entity. To have the ability to connect and share with so many "friends" is kinda brilliant. I am painfully aware of the detractors. Let me first offer some praise.

I love seeing members of my family on facebook. Some family members use it more than others. All of us share pictures and comments and funny videos. We don't live that close together so the little bit of touching base is satisfying. I enjoy watching my nieces and nephews communicate with each other. I don't know where else I could see and appreciate how fond they are of each other. I love the random comments. I gain a little bit more insight into each one. We are all set to fairly strict privacy settings. I don't see the down side.

I have enjoyed finding old friends, particularly from high school. Some of us have actually managed to get together in person. It has been lovely.

I take pleasure in reading about my students' lives. I like to see what they are up to and where they have landed after graduation. Very cool.

I delight in the conversations that have developed with my current friends and colleagues. I even appreciate the occasional cat picture!

I know a lot of people have developed a healthy... hmm, "fear" is too big a word, a healthy distrust of facebook. I get it. Some of my very dear friends do not participate very often or never joined the network or have effectively left facebook. Most are worried about privacy and feel on some level that facebook is intrusive and an imposition. Some have just become too addicted and find it takes up too much of their time. Some have been stalked. (I find that if I keep up with my privacy settings and delete the occasional inappropriate comment I feel safe and unconcerned.)

The most compelling arguments I find for leaving facebook (or not participating in the first place) are as follows:
1. Whatever you post is out there. You can't really control your own content. Once published all lives somewhere in the ether. Scary thought.
2. Facebook (and other social media like twitter) can in fact be very addicting. Some folk find the casual contact more of a nuisance. Some find it ultimately distancing. The contact is, after all, very superficial. Some of us prefer physical contact, telephone contact or at the very least lengthy emails.

Ultimately I agree with my friends' reasons for leaving facebook behind or untouched. I take no issue. I have found a way to use the social network for my own ends and quite enjoy it. I don't find I spend too much time wandering through casual friends' posts."

Back to the present:
Hmm. As you can see... if you got this far.. I bored myself and was unable to come to a satisfactory conclusion. Ah well.

Next time!
m.

No comments:

Post a Comment