Thursday, May 1, 2014

Power

I have been thinking a lot about power lately. I am thinking about those with power and those who have no power; doing their best, working hard and doing the work of their life but under those people who have all the power and the money. I have never ascribed to money. I do what I do for the love of my art. I need to make a living but I have never looked for fame or fortune. I have only ever looked to the execution of the communal art of theatre. I am an artist, but it is a very specific art. I can make what others envision happen on stage. What an incredible joy.

Yet, I cannot do this alone. I am a tool others use to realize that art. I am the communicator. I am the center of the hub. I am the one person who knows what every one else needs to know and my ultimate job is to make sure all these individual artists are talking to each other and that the final piece of theatre reflects the art of all within the directors' vision.  

And the actors. What a surly bunch they can be.  (I say this lovingly!) I must manage these lovely people and help them understand we are all in this together. We have to "be in the same show." Through the run we must keep to the director's vision and yet still grow in understanding and in the playing of the piece. 

Down here in the trenches, with the crew and the stage manager staff we are left to make it all work. And we do. Most of the time. We are dedicated and as it ever was historically we are the lowest of the low. We do not get the accolades or the appreciation that should come with the work we do. We work in silence and verbally cheer the achievements of our fellows.

We are the powerless. We are the ones working for little money for the art. We give everything and get nothing except our own love of the art. Most of the time we are excluded from the most basic pizza party. 

Well. I probably wouldn't have gone to the pizza party anyway so it is okay. It would have been nice to have been invited. 

It has been said that with great power comes great responsibility. I believe that. I try to use my little bit of power to promote and help those looking to get into this stupid mercurial business. 

I have given my students an assignment. I want to talk about perception and how it effects everything. 

I am still learning that lesson now. 

mkk.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment