Tuesday, March 6, 2012

See You In September. Or...

Tomorrow is my first free day since Christmas. Ah.

Oh. Yeah. Forgot.. Up next: Taxes.

I have to call Cigna, now that I have the time. (Some of you are aware of my endless discussions with our health insurance company and why.)  I need to shop for groceries and see my Dad. After two heart surgeries, one of them an emergency open heart surgery that saved Dad's life in the moment and then two more procedures, he seems to be good for now.  So scary.

3 people want to have lunch with me before I go. 3 people want to have lunch with me when I arrive. How nice! I want to spend time with my husband.

My bathroom could use a good scrub. Oh and I've put off writing a couple of letters of recommendation for my students that need to be done this week. Hm. Gotta make that mammogram appointment and see my gyno and my hematologist.

I need a haircut. I need some clothes that fit and are not black on black. I've boxes to pack. And I NEED to walk. I miss that. I've been too obligated, too busy or too lazy.

There is no such thing as free time! There is always something to be done. How could anyone ever be bored with so many obligations to meet and so many discussions to be had?

Maybe I'll just sleep in tomorrow and make a list later.

I need the "ahhhh." I need the deep breath before I travel yet again far from my husband and family, working the best job I can find. I am lucky. I have two really great jobs upcoming. Both on the East Coast.

My mentor once told me, "We are gypsies. We go where the work is. We wander and work." I argued with him at the time. As ever he was right. It just took me a bit to get it.

Yes. History has proven my dear mentor, Frank Bayer was right. We are gypsies. We chose this. We wander and work.  The sacrifice is great. The personal, professional and monetary reward is great too. This is what some of us have to do to continue working in a business we love (and sometimes hate) and is the only business (after all) we really know. I accept that. You know what? I embrace that. I've come to understand this is who I am.  I find I am equally excited about the work ahead as I am nauseous at the thought of leaving. The good and the bad. The joy and the sorrow. (The yin and the yang?)

So... 4 weeks here and gone. Back in 10 weeks. 6 weeks home and gone again for 7 weeks. See you in September (or lose you, to a summer love.)

{smile}

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment