Friday, March 16, 2012

Very Peculiar Times.

My neighbor likes to hug me. In grocery stores. K. I'm not a very touchy person and he smells like he hasn't washed his hair today. I don't want to hug him, but he has an insistent type of come-on and it would be rude not to "give him a hug." I do. I like him. I like his wife. I just don't really want to hug him.

A woman I'd never seen before today felt it was her responsibility to compliment the fact that I was walking for exercise and then criticize my footwear. (I Always wear flip-flops.) She said, "Great that you are walking, but you should always wear tennis shoes. Otherwise, your feet will swell up." I informed her that I'd spoken to both my internist and my podiatrist who had looked at my flip-flops and they both said, "Fine." She left a bit chagrined. (Why was this stranger talking to me about my foot-ware anyway?)

A man dressed very much like a clown whom I'd seen before walks up to me and says "Can I have a hug?" I said, "NO." I veered to the other side of the sidewalk.  He walked on.

I guess I need people to stop trying to touch me or criticize my flip-flops. (We used to call them "go-a-heads." Really. )

These are the real subjects the average folk are spending their time thinking about.

By the way. Spring has come too early here in California. We are blooming away and tomorrow and all this weekend. Later... snow is coming. Weird.

We live in very peculiar times, my friends.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment