Saturday, December 12, 2009

If Wishes Were Horses.

I put two fairies on my Christmas Tree. I like them better than the angels I put close to the top. The fairies are pretty and sassy and not at all angelic. I like the whimsey. Yes, my tree is up. It takes several days. I am allergic to trees so several years ago my dear husband bought me an artificial tree a couple of days after Christmas. (It was on sale $50. Very cheap, we've had it for 10 years or more.) It looks very real. Well, the tree sits there for 2 or 3 days until I get the "feeling" to put the lights up. So, I spend several hours lighting the tree and am exhausted. (600 lights.) I put Santa on top. (My mom would have called him "Santy", but really it is St. Nick.) Then, I wait a day or two and consider the decorations. Ultimately, the Tenenbaum is ready for viewing...the decorations from my mother, my nieces, gifts to my husband, things I liked and bought, and a little (now) broken angel that was always on my Mother's tree.)


Well, the tree looks great. A few days ago, feeling pressure from my neighbors, I put out the outside lights. (The pressure was brought only because they had already completed their decorations the week before.) I want to contribute to the general holiday spirit. I've written about my neighborhood. They (we) decorate for EVERYTHING!

It is all good. This activity forces one to participate. It is less about joining than participating. I like it. Our houses all look GOOD, if tacky. The children are delighted.

I want to make the children happy. I am taking my recalcitrant nephew to lunch and maybe a movie next week. I am calling another nephew just to see if he is okay. Somehow truth comes out in the "holidays". It does. And I am not just the innocent bystander. I never wanted children. But, there they are. And I need to find some way to help take care of them.

Oh, this went a completely different way. I was talking about fairies on the Christmas Tree. Hmmm. One Christmas I want to put up decorations of only things with wings... fairies, angels, birds, airplanes...


If wishes were horses then beggars would ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment